Section 8 Rentals: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Do you remember the Clint Eastwood western movie, “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”? Renting to Section 8 tenants is pretty much the same. Some landlords love Section 8, and some landlords try it and find it is bad and ugly to deal with.

section 8 rental

With Section 8 tenants, you are guaranteed on-time rent every month.

What is Section 8

Section 8 is a government program that dates back to the Housing Act of 1937. Section 8 pays rent for over 3 million low-income households. A variety of Section 8 programs are available to low-income tenants, but the most popular is the voucher choice program. This program will pay either a portion of the tenant’s rent or all of the tenant’s rent depending on the individual tenant’s financial situation.

Most tenants pay about 30% of their take-home adjusted income for Section 8 housing. The adjusted income takes into account deductions for dependents, disabilities, and other medical expenses. If the tenant is unemployed or has a several children they may become eligible to have their entire rent paid by this program.

The Good

Most Landlords either love or hate the Section 8 program. They love it because they don’t have to worry about receiving full payment of their rent on-time, every single month. They don’t need to worry about checks being “lost in the mail” and a million other excuses tenants use to not pay their rent on time every month. And they love it because they can charge a lot for their rent.

Depending on their voucher, tenants are fitted for a 1 – 3 bedroom property. Rent for each of these properties is pre-set by the local agency administering the housing voucher. The good news is that the monthly rent is often a little higher than they can achieve with non-Section 8 tenants.

The Bad

The Ugly

Another primary concern is the quality of the tenant. Landlords fear that Section 8 tenants will be rough on their property, not change the furnace filters, call the landlord for leaking water, and generally not properly maintain the house.

Sometimes the tenants have large families or invite others to move in with them to share remaining expenses or even sublet out the couch.  Extra people can lead to heavy wear and tear on the property.

The way to minimize this is to fully screen Section 8 prospects just as you would non-Section 8 tenants. Landlords need to pull criminal background checks, call previous landlords, and check everything regardless if the tenant is in the Section 8 program or not.

Bottom Line

Some landlords love the Section 8 program. I know real estate investors who have 100% of their rentals filled with Section 8 tenants. Others hate Section 8 because of the challenges managing the whole process. How about you? What are your Section 8 experiences? Did you try it out, stay with it, or drop it as fast as you could? Share your Section 8 stories with us right here in the comments section.

Sign Up for the CRE Online Newsletter Today ... It's FREE!
Get our best real estate investing information delivered to your inbox.
look!

Jim Ingersoll is a real estate entrepreneur who has bought and sold hundreds of homes. He is the author of Investing Now and Cash Flow Now (both available at Amazon.com), and enjoys speaking and coaching others on how to obtain their financial freedom.

Jim is Head Real Estate Coach and Trainer at: Coaching.CREonline.com

His website is InvestingNowNetwork.com

You can find Jim on Facebook and Twitter.

Comments

1. Richard Powelson says:

I owned 35 four plexes or 140 rental units, all section 8. I hired a management company to handle it. I strongly recommend that. They ran it like they owned it and screened all tenants and inspected each unit on a regular basis. They eliminated the bad tenants and were selective on good tenants. Without somebody else handling it, I don’t recommend it at all.

• Jim Ingersoll says:

Richard
      Congrats on finding a great way to handle that many units. It is not easy to find great property managers who manage like they own. Thanks for sharing

Jim

• Cassaundra. W says:

Hello Jim ,
      I want to be like you when I grow up in the property business…Smiling.
      I’m very impressed with the way you decided to manage you rentals. It is my plan to have rental properties with tenants in the section 8 program and I may need some advice from people with more experience in that area in time such as yourself, if that is okay. Again, you did well and thank you for the helpful comment!
      Cassaundra. W

2. Merlin says:

All the points raised in this article are valid. As a former landlord my experience is that ultimately Section 8 rentals are more profitable for the landlord, all things considered. A non-section 8 tenant that you properly screened can still damage your property, owe rent and make you go through a costly, time-wasting eviction process. When they finally leave, you can hardly trace them to recover your repair costs or unpaid rent. Even if you can trace them, recovering your money is another matter.

But Section 8 tenants are bound by rules, and serious damage to property can cause them to lose their voucher if the landlord files a complaint, even after such a tenant vacates property. Include that clause in the lease agreement and point it out to tenant when they are signing it. That is an incentive for them to prevent damage to your property. Therefore, if your property qualifies for Section 8, go for it.

• Merlin says:

To add to my previous post, I once had to forcefully evict a Section 8 tenant through a court process. She had informed Section 8 office that she would not renew her lease at my property. At lease end, Section 8 office stopped sending rent, but she refused to vacate because she couldn’t find another property to relocate into. And of course she did not pay rent for the extra two months she over-stayed.

I obtained eviction judgment, took the judgment debt to Section 8 office and was refunded for the extra two months and up to the date of judgment. They also told me I could file a complaint to have her voucher revoked, but I opted not to pursue it.

• Jim Ingersoll says:

Good points, thanks for sharing! They definitely don’t want to lose their vouchers once they are finally in the system.

Jim

• Ted whiley says:

At Section8landlord.net, landlords can list their section 8 properties for free. I put one up there a year ago and found a quality section 8 tenant.

Tenants can also use this open resource to find a section 8 landlord in their area. They also explain how the section 8 program works, you just have to find good tenants and screen them.

3. Henry B. Torn says:

Excellent article Jim. You hit the ‘nail’ with the pros and cons of Section 8 tenant investing. IMO, the added layer of red tape is the ‘Price of Poker’ you pay for any additional rent you collect vs. market rent. Investors must also consider the quality of tenant based on the percentage they pay. No skin in the game is in and of itself a higher risk vs. 20% to 30% of their income which presumably will give the tenant more of a vested interest in maintaining the property and not trashing it.

Keep in mind as well that you the investor might not receive your first rental checks from Sec. 8 for 3 or 4 months. Happy Investing!

• Jim Ingersoll says:

Henry

The speed to start section 8 is one of my frustrating points and everyone needs to be aware that the bureaucracy involved with getting set up can take a some time… good point.

Jim

• Cassaundra. W says:

Jim,
        After section 8 gets past the initial part, where the rent payment take forever to come, then, start coming, do the payments tend to start coming on time every month after that?
        Cassaundra

4. Jeff M says:

I agree with all of your comments in the article above. I have been a landlord of low income properties for a little over 10 years. I have rented to Section 8 tenants and I have rented to ‘private” tenants. I prefer a Section 8 tenant for one main reason… in our area, the tenant is held responsible to uphold their end of the lease. If the tenant fails to pay their share of the rent, or, if the tenant causes damage to the property, etc. the tenant is thrown off the program (once you get a court judgment against the tenant and give a copy to the Housing Authority) and can no longer get subsidized housing. To me, that is a HUGE HAMMER over the heads of the tenants. Dealing in the low income end of the market, if a “private” tenant fails to pay the rent, or does damage to the property, I can go to court and get a judgment, but I have little to no chance of ever collecting on that judgment. In other words, there is no real hammer over the head of a private tenant. As far as tenant quality is concerned, I have 10 single family homes and have had good and bad experiences, although most of them have been good experiences. I have had 2 tenants over ten years (out of a pool of around 25) that have been dirty. They were dirty when they lived there, and left the place dirty when they left. In both of these cases, the security deposit was enough to cover the costs of cleaning the properties. One was a Section 8 tenant and one was a private tenant. I do screen by running a credit/criminal background/eviction check, but, I believe the MOST important screening is when I “drop in” to the prospective tenants current home only giving them a 30 minute or so “heads up”. I usually use the excuse that I need to have them sign a form. When I get to the house, I explain that I need to do a quick inspection of where they are living. If the tenant will not let me do that, I reject the tenant. Otherwise, I look around and see the care and cleanliness of their current property. The two dirty tenants I referred to above lived with their parents before they rented my houses, so I couldn’t really make a judgment about the tenant’s cleanliness and care. In the future, I will not make that mistake again.

• Jim Ingersoll says:

Jeff
      Thanks for sharing your screening secrets to finding great tenants and congrats on your accomplishments managing property!

Jim

• Cassaundra. W says:

Hello Jeff,
      Congrats also on the way you have handled your properties and the way you sreen. I try to get all the helpful hints I can before I start with managing of certain investments. Question: Do I need to have written in my paper work somewhere that I actually do that as a prescreening incase they end up saying something about it, or incase something happens while I am in their home? Thank you!
      Cassaundra

5. Richard Sunday says:

One of my biggest problems with section 8 is that the agency does not hold applicants resopnsible for their behavior.
    When a tennant breaks something-its the landlords problem and they wont approve a new rental term unless its fixed. y
    When a tenant leaves the property in a shambles with a major cleaning bill, damaged premesis, junk all over the place-its the landlords problem-AND-the tennant has already found a new apartment in which to do the same thing!
    When a tenant acts irresopnsibly, disturbing other tennants, degrading the complex, costing me the loss of good tenants-it is very difficult to get them to change their ways or to remove them from the premesis.
    Finally, it seems as though the tennants know more about ways to get a free lunch than the average landlord. They have lots of free time to strategize while I am repairing their former apartment!
    I understand the need for this program and have had some excellent section 8 tennants who respected the property and were thankful for the government assistance-but they seem to be in the minority in South Florida.
    Why wont section 8 emake the program more user friendly for the landlords and the good recipients who really need the help?

• Jim Ingersoll says:

Richard

Good point on the tenants knowing how to get a free lunch, definitely be aware that most of them know the system inside and out and making repairs can be a pain.

Jim

• Cassaundra. W says:

Hello Jim,
        Are we able as landlords to have a stipulation in our lease even with section 8, that if the tenant destroys something after we have passed our inspection and have pictures of the good condition of how the propery was prior to the tenant moving in, that the tenant, or section 8 be responsible for us getting reinbursed for the cost of the damages? Thank you!
        Cassaundra

6. Please don’t generalize. Unless you’ve worked with the hundreds of agencies nationwide who administer the Section 8 program, you can’t assume that they’re all ” always under-staffed and over-worked. They are not able to provide the level of service you’d expect. This results in a slow process of getting through the inspections, the contracts, tenants moving in, and waiting for your first check to arrive.”

• Jeanne Ekhaml says:

Nancy,

I must apologize that my editing of Jim’s article may have changed his sentiment. His original message was that he’d been told by Section 8 workers that “they are always under-staffed and way over-worked.” I’m sure readers realize Jim is speaking from his own first-hand experience with Section 8 and the slow process of getting through inspections, the contracts, tenants moving in, and waiting for your first check to arrive.

Jeanne Ekhaml
      Creative Real Estate Online

7. I’ve been looking at how to learn more about Sec 8 investing, and once attended a webinar on the matter. Is there anyone who can point or coach on how to get started, etc, what is needed? The information I got, is that you have to pay for the property upfront in full. I”m not sure if there other ways to go about it. If anyone can enlighten me on how to get started, it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

• Jim Ingersoll says:

Hi Vinn

Can you elaborate a little? Do you own a house or apartment that you want to rent to section 8?

Jim

• Sorry late reply Jim. To clarify, I want to learn the proper way to analyze and get into the SEC.8 side of investing. Is there any link, or source where I can learn more about it? and no, I don’t own any properties yet. -Vinn

8. J. Suzanne Topper says:

Our Section 8 rental rents for less than the market rate. Less = about $100 per month less than market. Our tenants are nice people. They are a family of three with their single mother. She loves her home and family and is a good homemaker. Having the security of good landlord-tenant relations is worth $100 a month. We had to make a few repairs although not expensive. We would have had to do them anyway. The process is a little slower than usual but not by much. Be polite, pleasant and patience.

9. I’ve rented to Sec 8 tenants for nearly 15 years. In the beginning it was great. I got higher than market rent and had the feeling that Sec 8 personnel were appreciative of landlords. That all change about 6 years ago. Now I get lower than market rent–after all the extra costs–and Sec personnel seems to side with the tenants.

Also, Sec 8 personnel now turnover at such a high rate that it is not uncommon to have two case workers in one year for one tenant. One case worker was so overwhelmed, he was tossing out paper work and telling his supervisor that with I or the tenant never sent it in.

While he was a rogue case ( I hope), the general trend is very much against landlords. I had a tenant who moved without giving notice. She got a case worker to find her another property. I was not called for a reference or given a chance for a walk through. I only found out she was gone when the rent was not paid. And the tenant had cut of the heat and opened the windows during a week of 20 degree weather. I complained to the head of the local office, but she refused to do anything about it. In fact it took three weeks to even get a return call.

I had 2 duplexes side by side and each building had one Sec 8 and one paying tenant. Over a four year period, the Sec 8 tenants cost me several thousand dollars more due to the annual inspections and subsequent demand for unnecessary repairs by Sec 8. The non Sec 8 tenants were nice people with good jobs who paid on time and were happy with the property. But the Sec 8 inspectors wanted their buddies–my Sec 8 tenants–to live nicer than their neighbors. They demanded new carpet (which looked fine to me) every other year and paint every year and many repairs that were not necessary. If I did not do the repairs, I did not get paid any rent. Complaints to the head person were ignored again.

I am now down to a few Sec 8 tenants, and only because the properties are located in an area that was recently turned into a subsidized housing project (it was a good area before that). Now only Sec 8 people will live there.

I recommend that you talk with landlords in your area before jumping into Sec 8. It can be great or it can be hell. I’ve experienced both.

• Cassaundra. W says:

Hello Jack,
      Sorry for the bad times you experiened! Question: 1. Did secton 8 reinburse you for the time that tentant was no longer there, that you were not aware of, if you don’t mine me asking. 2. Is there a certain lenght of time that we as landlords have to give notice to section 8 that we no longer want the tenant, or to renew a contract with section 8 for that particular tenant? I think if they (the tenant, or section 8) had so many requirements that always caused what I thought to be unnecessary, I would probably either work toward replacing them when the contract is almost up, or if the convienience of getting the money every money is that good, I guess I would just prepare to have the money for the new carpet they are probably going to ask me for. This thought is coming from me, a person who has never done this, which is why I am asking. Thank you!
      Cassaundra

• 1. Sec 8 reimburse money? Are you kidding? Not going to happen.

2. You can only get out of your HAP at the end of the lease period. I typically give both tenant and case worker written notice 45 days, then 30 days, then 15 days prior to that. Things get “lost” you know.

I have noticed that now most Sec 8 workers resemble (in behavior and speech) most of my Sec 8 tenants. So maybe they hire former Sec 8 tenants to be case workers. Bottom line, the whole systems now seems to exist to benefit tenants at the cost of landlords.

I have to admit that most of the landlords in my area who will rent to Sec 8 are ruthless and have very low-end properties. By contrast the Sec 8 inspectors were always impressed with my properties, at least at first. Then during the next “annual” inspection–6 months late, the inspector decided I was an easy mark and needed to make it even nicer.

If I could find a competent, trustworthy management c. (oxymoron) that kept me completely out of the process (except for cashing checks :-}), I’d be in it in a big way. But I would never tell anyone I owned those trashy properties and I’d carry huge liability insurance.

You mileage may vary.

10. Derrick Broughton says:

I live in Atlanta and would like to here from owners in my market.

11. Jim Ingersoll says:

Everyone

Thanks for sharing your perspectives. Some investors do love it and others do not like it. Personally, I like having a small mix of them so that a chunk of rents are on-time without thinking about it. I don’t need to worry about tenants losing jobs, etc. The section 8 tenants I currently have are all very good and I have some that are multiple year tenants without any problems…. Same is true for non-section 8 tenants.

I like having some of them but would not want my entire rental portfolio full of section 8 either.

Keep sharing your stories and insights to your experiences.

Thanks
    Jim

12. One important point is that Section 8 is a NATIONAL program… but it is administered at the LOCAL level. That means that the local housing office is KEY as to how the program will work for you. I have had Section 8 rentals in 2 adjoining cities. One was a joy- the other was a disaster (the HUD supervisor- a FEDERAL employee- had to actually intervene as the local workers were WAY over-stepping the bounds of their authority.

• Jim Ingersoll says:

Mark

That is a great point. Even in the same city, different agencies operate differently when administering the program. For instance, here in Richmond we have Richmond Redevelopment and Independent Living. One is super easy to work with and one is more challenging.

Jim

• marilyn 13 says:

i agree ,That is a great point. Even in the same city, different agencies operate differently when administering the program.L employee- had to actually intervene as the local workers were WAY over-stepping the bounds of their authority i have a inspector that always pass inspection for section 8 tenants,and always keep the apartment in good condition ,,know he have giving me a hart time about a wall that had been Spackle,,way before i had bye my home and know is s issue,when that was never a problem with other tenant before is not broken or no bubble i had call the director she docent return my calls or letter ,the tenant that leave there had broken all the rules and regulation of section 8 had damage the apt 2 times ,party ,company all different time of night late ,music very loud cursing at me and threaten my family they don’t take her out it look like she have a connection there in section 8 , i had to replace a new stove ,my wall in my kitchen came down from her heater up second floor .she had hit all the heater on the same spot ,i had spend a lot of money even doe is not my fold to keep up and section 8 don’t care to see about this tenant doing aim disable person and my experience with section 8 hud in Paterson is the worth tenant ever they had one time a criminal that came out of jail it was a night mare,,they said the check background,,i don’t thing they do,,and the inspector is a arrogant ass if he don’t, like you he be sure to make you life miserable, after all this experience i don’t think i ever rent to section 8 ,,this program thing they own you house and they don’t give you respect as a person and owner you help them and that what you get ,,that why in 2007 they had arrested all employee for doing illegal stuff and know they sure need to be investigated again
      you go to the office and they don’t want to talk to you or heard complaint they the employee of section 8 in Paterson n,j were the office is located ,they scream at you like you in the ghetto and is them the way the act i think they should have new stuff staring with the director ,,she is the other one who don’t do anything ,,they all there have abused of power and don’t know how to deal with owner or tenants
      marilyn

13. wondering if there is grants available out there for building sec 8 housing.Thanks in advance

• Jim Ingersoll says:

Dan

Not that I am aware of. Good thought and let me know if you find any.

THanks
      Jim

14. Barry says:

Are there tax advantages to section 8 housing?

• Jim Ingersoll says:

Hi Barry

No tax advantages. The main advantage is having assurance that your rent will be received on the 1st every month

Jim

15. Hello to all.I have had great success with section 8.I do screenings,references,and the whole nine yards.I figured out if we landlords help the low income families on the program .Simple things like OIL-BASED PAINT.They could keep the walls cleaner.Harwood floors instead of carpet ,would be easier for them to clean then carpets.So I just thought I would give alittle food for thought.Best of all you learn from your experiences.I wish all of you the best of luck with your property’s .

16. Julio A. Shea says:

After an agoninzing two years with section 8 tenants, I finally got rid of it and have had much better results in the quality of tenants, by advertising and screening them on my own.

17. Sasha Chakovski says:

It’s so nice to finally read some positive comments regarding Section 8. I’m a Section 8 tenant due to my disabilty and I’m always very frustrated at the way I’m treated by landlords who assume I’m some kind of “lowlife” just because I’m on Section 8. We are all lumped into one group and generalized as bad tenants who don’t take care of people’s property. I have amazing credit and great references and I know there are many others on Section 8 like me who get judged for the bad actions of others. Thanks for this article and thanks to all you landlords who give people with Section a chance! Hopefully more landlords will learn to be openminded. God bless :)

18. Section 8 Renter says:

I am on Section 8
    1) I’m VERY lucky I have a half decent landlord. Most other people I know on Section 8 have landlords that constantly do illegal things to the tenant.
    * Enter with their not there
    * Charge extra rent on top of the 30% (This is happening to me now)
    * Charge extra fees for pet deposit because they are Section 8 (My place pople have to pay double if your on section 8)
    * Refuse to let anyone come over ever

Turn the tables and be fair – report what a TENANT goes through! I was lucky I found my place but I sent out over 100 emails and made dozens of calls before I had even 5 places that said they would take Section 8 in a half decent area. I’m now on a Section 8 waiting list for 5 other cities in good areas that I know I won’t be able to move into for 7 to 10 years. On top of that the tenant has to go through crazy paperwork and willingly sign over ALL rights to personal information for the Section 8 program to use as they want which includes media! I don’t want to be on this program! But I am literally fighting just to receive physical therapy so I can heal and eventually someday go back to work.

There are at least two sides of a story. Consider at least two.

• Wow, I’m a responsible Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher holder. I’m disabled, otherwise paying the rent wouldn’t be a problem. If my landlord pulled any of that stuff I would file suit. If I were not as knowledgeable I would pursue the same course in small claims court. Most areas a small claims case is around $50 to initiate. Maybe $10 to to serve the complaint.

19. Inspections from the govt i don’t view as a bad thing, but good. Slum lords won’t like it. I try to keep my properties in top shape and the inspector may catch something i miss or just hasn’t come to my attention yet. Also if it is something the tenants have done they make them fix it. Little things go a long way, for any tenant. Example … a tenant had dirtied the carpet and was told to clean it. When i enquired about it she said she had rented a steamer but it wouldn’t work. I stopped by and it just wasn’t connected properly. It was a small area so i connected it and cleaned it (single mom). I don’t make a habit of this but every once in a while a chance to do something minimal to help comes along and makes a big impression on the tenant.

20. Hi all! i am looking to get into the section 8 housing investment side of things and was wondering what resources there are for finding section 8 approved properties for purchase? Thanks!
    Ben

21. Doing this the first time with 1 tenant. I really enjoy getting rent paid electronically each month. Though the tenant was a good/average tenant upon intial review. However as time passes the issue is the behavior. It ruins the quality of my property amd makes for more trips to find out whats going on..I don’t think I would do this again. Perhaps If I owned a property in a really bad low income area and I wanted guarenteed rent. Where I rent Sect 8 has got a very bad reputation. I am begginng to see why.

22. rob polli says:

I have a few section 8 rental properties . I have noticed that the tennants who work and have to pay a portion of the rent are somewhat responsible. I also have tennants who dont pay anything. the govt pays it all. and guess what . they trash the place and the home is filthy. go figure. my advise is to rent to someone who pays a portion of the rent because they want to somewhat keep the place nice being money is comeing out of there pocket.

• kit kat says:

I think that the section 8 tenants are not fair to landlords. They threaten to stop the monthly payment if you, the landlord, does not fix an item, no matter how small. Yet, they do not hold the tenants responsible for maintaining the property in the manner in which it was rented to them. I know of a few landlords who have had to spend thousands of $$$$$$ for repairs after a tenant moves out. One landlord I know spent $8,000. Another $4,000, And yet another, $3,000. All these properties were left in deplorable condition. There should be a move-out inspection by the Section 8 administrators, the same way they demand a move-in inspection, but they don’t!

I recently called Section 8 to request they come view the state of the property after their tenant left. The told me to file a judgement against the tenant. They don’t really hold the tenants accountable and so the tenant is approved for another rental and so they move on to another property to continue the same way.

Maybe someone needs to start a class-action suit against the Section 8.

23. rob polli says:

also if your going to let the govt pay your tennants rent I only advise cdc or section 8.do not rent to dss which is the dept of social services . if the tennant misses there dss appointments they stop the rent. section 8 and cdc rent is guranteed .if the tennant is there they still have to pay you no matter what.dss will not pay you and you are screwed

• M.Johnson says:

Rob,

Please clarify-what dept is “CDC”.

How can I get more info on CDC, Section 8 vs dss(Dept of Social Sevices).

Thanks Rob.
      Mike J.

24. As of June 2013 the sequester cuts are begining to hit the Section 8 voucher program hard. Waiting lists are closed and many are being tossed in the trash altogether as county agencies realize they will never be able to offer more vouchers, in fact, they are now in the position of reducing the number of vouchers they have already issued.

Here in south Florida some counties are “expected” to cut their vouchers by as much as 8% just this year alone. Politicians are in no mood to expand entitlements and I believe the writing is on the wall for Section 8. What was great just a few years ago is slowing turning into a situation that could leave you high and dry. I would definately keep a diverse portfolio in my pocket, don’t go 100% section 8, the program could be shut down tomorrow and you are out on your butt.

Being a government program, the rates paid by the government can change overnight and without notice, this is something to be very aware of. Renting at overmarket rates can be great when the going is good but if the government cuts the funding your stuck getting far less for your property and your stuck with a tenant who can’t pay market rate.

I plan on slowly divesting myself of my Section 8 tenants before the roof falls in and I’m stuck with a bunch of renters who can’t pay the rent or afford to move and may take their frustrations out on my properties when faced with eviction. With the job market coming back here in south Florida I’m hoping to get back to 100% market rate regular renters. There is no guarantee in anything but getting the government out of my finacial picture seems like a good idea at this point

25. Almost every potential section 8 tenant told me they would pay the difference between the rent I asked for and the rent allowed by section 8 office and can also sign a separate contract. I put my ad in craigslist. What will you guys do?

26. joseph alex says:

im ex military and a x police officer injured in the line of duty i have lived in the suburbs nice neighborhoods using my section 8 vouchers. I have had terrible experiences ended up fixing things myself because landlords do not want to take care of theyre properties. one house the landlord was in foreclosure and still taking my money she never wanted to fix anything thank god i had friends who were plummers and electricians, but i still had to pay them out my pocket. the last two landlords were horrible one lost his house gambling and i had to move again,they all said i was a good tenant and i rarely seen them maybe once or twice a year because i always took care of theyre properties like it was my home. the last house had a major plumbing problem and the basement stunk every time it rained . theni called the gas company because i smelled gas the pipes were so old the gas company red tagged the stove and all the lines in the basement the landlord got mad at me and asked me why did i call the gas company i ended up calling a friend who was a certified plumber and had to pay $350.00 dollars out my pocket! section 8 abated the property and i had to move asap, now i see everyone refusing section 8 and its wron g because all people on section 8 are not bad tenants, i cant even find a place in a nice neighborhood because im labled before even given a chance. please excuse my spelling errors.

• Maureen says:

I am sad to hear your experiences, especially after your sacrifices on my behalf (and the greater American society). You deserve our utmost respect and care. I am a woman of a certain age, thinking of making my home a Section 8 rental, and admit some fear in the overall process, but reading your experiences makes me consider many things. If I could be assured of a tenant such as yourself I would feel much more at ease. I have read two posts from current Section 8 tenants, and know that we cannot overgeneralize as I am also considered, for my generation, a bit of an outsider. I am a teacher, a single mom, a person in recovery, and by God’s good grace a homeowner that would like to live closer to my only child. I am not yet in a position to sell the property, and having gone through nearly losing the property before a modification after the recent meltdown, totally understand the feeling of futility. Thank you for showing me the two sides, and I wish you much serenity, you have paid, and paid dearly and now deserve our care. May you be blessed, and thank you very sincerely for your service. We need to treat our service members (military and peace officers) with a level of respect and concern as they did for us.

27. belene gutierrez says:

i am a landlord in san jose, calif i just started into this program and i cant even get my checks going on 4 months, they owe me $4000, since june 16 2013 did all the paper work that was requried and past inspection everything and was approved, but still no check, i talk every dept, all i get are promises and lies. no one know there job and all supervisor are any better also never get a call back just fedup. dont know what else to do

28. I have my first home with and upstairs appartment. A friend (single mom) and her two kids wanted to rent from us. They are on section 8. We agreed, got the paper work done and the rent checks came right away. They’ve been there for three years and we passed every inspection. We always get our money on time. It’s worked well for us, however, as a good landlord, I don’t appreciate being threatened by the section 8 people if some MINOR thing is not repaired.

This past October (2013) after passing several previous inspections, i got a letter telling me that there was no romex connector on the garbage disposal under the kitchen sink, and that in one of the bedrooms there was a wall outlet without a face plate and these two things would need to be repaired or I would NOT receive my November rent money. Interestingly, the face plate was there when the tenants moved in… Anyway, I did as they asked and got those two things repaired on October 8. I called the section 8 inspector and told him the repairs were done and he said they would reinspect as soon as possible. I never gave it another thought, my bad… November 1 came and I received no rent payment. I called the inspector and he told me that he did not remember that conversation. I assured him that I most definitely did talk to him and told him the repairs were done early in October. He assured me that he would schedule a new inspection right away and assured me that if all passed I would have my rent payment by Nov 15. This would make me late on my mortgage payment as I don’t make enough money to pay all my utilites, modest cars, car insurance, home insurance, outrageous water/sewer bills ($150 EVEY MONTH) two children to feed and buy clothing for, and my wife has medical problems and cannot work. I make no extra money from this rent. It simply pays my mortgage and my job pays all my bills and there is no money left over…. So, here it is Nov 15 and this inspector has dropped the ball again. No inspection, no rent money. I am now late, for the first time, on my home mortgage thanks to them. I have called this inspector for the past week before today to make sure the inspection got scheduled and he has not answered my calls nor returned my calls. I’ve left messages, none of them threatening, only respectful and kind. I’ve explained my situation to him but he apparently doesn’t care… Not his problem. This morning I called his supervisor, another answering machine, left message begging for help.

If They do not fix this and send me my november money, then I will never help section 8 people again. In fact, i’m seriously thinking of selling this home in this piece of crap town (Fitchburg, MA) and go back to renting. I had more rights as a renter. I don’t like my rent money being held hostage for minor things and these were minor things that I did in fact fix right away. I am a good landlord and take good care of things for my tenant. Where is the fairness in this? If I do continue with Section 8, I will make sure that anything they demand to be fixed, that I will notify them by phone and a dated letter, signed by the tenant that the repairs were done with the date and the time. Then I will call them every day and make them miserable until they get it scheduled. This really sucks as I have no recourse legally and since they have no proof that it was fixed in October they can now easily refuse to make the November payment.

29. Felicia williams says:

Why is it so hard for landlords to accept section 8. Not all tents are bad I been on the program for 4yrs and been forced to stay in bad areas. My houses been broke into two times. I stay in a home for only a year due to the area. Really tired of getting denied to live we’re I want to be. I am a older lady with older kids and I love keeping up with my home. Would just like to be giving a chance to prove not all section 8 tents are bad. Please let me no if there are some good landlords out there that has nice homes in quiet areas low crimes areas.

30. Arvada Lanee says:

I am on section 8, and in my experience, the landlords who will accept section 8 are often unethical. I have dealt with landlords raising the rent, making false claims, and using threats and scare tactics to get extra money from me, or keep my security deposit. Even now, my previous landlord is refusing to return a security deposit and also refusing to put anything about it in writing. She claims that if I won’t drop it, she will make false claims to my section 8 worker, as well as child protective services. She knows I have no money for a lawyer, and that it will come down to my word vs. her word. I feel I am looked down on for being on section 8, and I am afraid of her. She has even gone so far as to show up at my boyfriend’s work to make her threats through him because I informed her she can only contact me in writing. I have had to call the police on her several times, but when it comes to her false claims, there is little that can be done. Just like any other landlord\tenent relationship, section 8 has good people and bad people. It goes both ways. Both partys need to be ethical people for it to work well. I am learning a hard lesson now about checking into a landlord before you move in. I am still torn on what to do about my problem. I wish people (on both sides!) would have a little decency.

31. janet hutchinson says:

Good day. I want to share my experiences with section 8 because it was not good. My husband and I were new to this. We recently purchased our first home, a three family. My husband, two kids and I resided on the second and rented out the first floor to a section 8 tennant. We did not know anything about section 8 and did not do our homework. A caseworker from an agency came to us and we rented to her for her client. Well, two weeks after she moved in we started smelling weed. I started waking up in the morning with terrible headaches. One night we heard fighting and my husband went to the door. she slammed the door in his face and we called the police. they did nothing. A month later we missed over three thousand dollars worth of thing from the garage including my son’s brand new bike. We filed a police report, nothing. One day she rang my bell and told me there was a fire in her apartment. I called the fire department and when they came, they found out she was cooking crack or heroin, I dont know the difference. She ran away when the fire-men came and came back after they left. A friend told me to look her up and I was shocked what I found. She was recently released from prison for selling drugs. She was being treated for addiction and other things. The final straw came when her lover came one night and threatened her with a gun. I was home alone with the kids and I called the cops. They came and called the case worker. She came and they moved her out the following morning. She still owe me four months rents, her portion. My water bill came to over four thousand dollars while she was there. I found out later from her lover that when she was angry at us, she would leave the house and left all the faucets running. I cried so much, I had a nervous breakdown. When they came to move her out, we found out that another young lady was living in the apartmen and we didn’t even know. The cops asks us if we knew and we said we never had a clue. Yes, she sublet the apartment right under our nose. A week after she left, she came back and apologize to me for stealing the things from the garage, and then she asked me why we left the garage open. She told me, she steal toilet paper and paper towel from the basement closet too when we were out. She said her case-worker told her to come apologize. I was so scared, I refused to rent the third floor for one year. We struggled with the mortgage until We found a nice lady with two small children. its been going fine but she sometimes owes the rent. I guess its a small price to pay.

Trackbacks

1. [...] "One of the reasons that some landlords don’t like Section 8 is the government regulation involved. They don’t want the government involved with their rental properties. The government puts regulation on all Section 8 properties. The regulation includes a safety inspection when the tenant moves in and ongoing inspections at least annually. After the inspection process, you’ll need to fix every item on their list before the tenant is approved for move-in. The inspection criteria is more stringent than most landlords expect, so the expense can be costly. Because Section 8 is a government subsidized housing program, you can expect the process to move very slowly. The Section 8 workers are always under-staffed and over-worked. They are not able to provide the level of service you’d expect. This results in a slow process of getting through the inspections, the contracts, tenants moving in, and waiting for your first check to arrive." Read more: Section 8 Rentals – The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly [...]